If you like outdoor games, you should know there are all kinds of options for Disc Golf, Washers, or Cornhole to hone your skills and game knowledge! All of these games are well known for different variants of gameplay and specific rules. Of these three games, disc golf is the oldest and most well known and has the coolest accessories to help you enjoy the game even more.
If you are looking for quality information on Disc Golf then, it’s good to know that Disc Golf is not just a game. It’s a perfect recreational past-time played like traditional golf, but instead uses specially made disc golf discs that are very different from clubs and balls.
The initial history of disc golf is carefully related to the history of the recreational flying disc that was invented in the 1950s. From there, modern disc golf seems to have originated in several places around the world in the 1960s.
‘Steady Ed’ Headrick is regarded as the “Father of Disc Golf” for developing and installing the first standardized target course in California. Headrick later went on to produce early models of the discs now used today in professional tournaments and casual play alike.
In the development phase of Disc Golf, the founder of Disc golf, Headrick, trademarked the term “Disc Golf” after inventing and patenting the Disc Golf Pole accessory. At that time, he wanted to call his invention a ‘Frisbee Pole Hole’ but ran into issues over the Frisbee name belonging to Wham-O (Popular Disc Golf Company), where he was once Vice President.
In later years, Steady Ed founded the Disc Golf Association (DGA) and the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), which is one of the top organizations of Disc Golf rules and regulations.
Today, disc golf lovers mostly remember 1976, when Ed Headrick replaced his ‘pole hole’ patent ‘Disc Golf Poles’, and cemented it into the ground and used chains to stop the disc.
Some of the exciting facts about Disc Golf that people must know.
- Disc Golf started becoming widespread and more organized in the later 1960s. During that time, public courses were built, and bigger communities started forming for the sport.
- In the 1990s, Iowa had the most disc golf courses, per capita, in the United States.
- The first-ever permanent disc golf course in the world was located in California.
- Known as the developer of Modern Disc Golf, Steady Ed was a prominent figure who developed the disc golf association (DGA) and the PDGA. The PDGA officiates all competitive tournaments.
- A PDGA championship level survey was conducted in the year 2006. Out of the 11,302 members, 8% were women.
- In 2001, the top money winner of disc golf, Cameron Todd, got a cash prize of 25,000 dollars.
- Disc golf has increased in the United States as well as worldwide by an annual rate of 12-15 percent in the last decade.
Disc Golf may have a rich history, but it is, and always has been, inspired by those people who simply want to go out and have a fun round with friends on the course.
Disc Store is one of the best professional websites to seek all different kinds of disc golf accessories at the best rates. Today, this website has become the home for all trending disc golf accessories that are hard to find on other online disc golf portals. Here is an informative post to help both beginners and experts get a sneak peek of Disc Golf’s beginnings. For more information on Disc Golf, visit the experts at Disc Store today!