India is one of the diverse countries in the world and filled with all kinds of riches that you’d want to experience. It is the perfect destination for US citizens seeking for adventures beyond their land. That is why India is becoming one of the hottest tourist destinations for Americans and more Americans visit India every year.
If you want to travel to the land of India, you would need a visa to visit there. You can apply for the visa online using the infrastructure provided by the government of India.
Let’s look at the things US citizens need to know before applying for an Indian visa.
Americans citizens are eligible to apply for India tourist visa if they have a valid passport. That’s it, as a US citizen you are eligible to apply, you would also need a scanned copy of your passport size photo.
You would need to have a scanned copy of the passport’s first and last page ready to upload.
There are three types of Visa US Citizens can apply when they want to go to India.
- Tourist e-visa
- Business e-visa
- Medical e-visa
You must apply for the visa before your trip and get it approved because India does not provide visa on arrival for US citizens. The US citizens can stay in India for a max of 180 days straight in a single visit. All visa types offer multiple entries to the country and have different validity. You can choose the validity when completing the form.
Now, let’s look at how to apply for e visa India for US citizens.
The application process to an online Indian visa is pretty simple, you can follow these steps to do that.
- Open indianvisaonline.gov.in and click on the e visa option from the middle.
- Now, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Apply here for e-visa’ link from the menu.
- Fill out the application form with complete details and choose the type and duration of the visa you want to apply.
- You will have to upload documents such as passport copy and photograph in the next step.
- After that, pay the visa fee online using credit or debit cards.
- Finally, click on the submit button to complete the visa appellation process.
Now, you need to wait for a few days to receive the ETA in your email inbox. You would need to take a print out of the ETA and present it to relevant authorities while at the immigration checkpoint.