Highlights of the trek:
- You will get a chance to camping at some amazing campsites like Sakri village, Juda ka Talab, Hargaon, and the great Kedarkantha.
- The Kedarkantha peak is believed to be dedicated to Lord Shiva. You will get a golden chance to visit the beautiful Shiva Temple at the top peak. – –
- Kedarkantha Summit is at an elevation of 12,500 feet above sea level. From the top, you will be experiencing the most splendid views of the setting and the rising sun.
- The trek offers amazing views of some of the famous peaks like- Swargarohini, Bandarpooch, and Black Peak. Other peaks like Gangotri, Yamunotri, Rupin Pass, and Har ki Dun are also visible from here.
- The trail will pass through by sprawling meadows, snowy zigzag slopes, dense blue pine forests, and Himalayan wildflowers.
Best time to visit
Kedarkantha is a paradise for snow lovers. Yes, It is a famous winter trek. So if you do not mind snow and can bear the cold, Kedarkantha trek will be pleased to welcome you.
Though the season and best time totally depend upon the trekker’s preference. You can also undertake this trek in the summer season. Yes, Kedarkantha Trek is also a popular summer trek as the region remains cold and pleasant in the months of April to June.
How to Reach
Kedarkantha trek starts from a small hamlet in Dehradun, named Sankri village. Dehradun is connected by major cities like Delhi. You need to take a direct bus, train or flight and reach Dehradun. Sankri is 200 km from Dehradun. You can take private taxis or buses to reach Sankri from there.
About The Trekking Route
- Kedarkantha trek is located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The base point of the trek is Sankri village. So first you need to reach Dehradun. Sankri village is easily accessible from Dehradun by a local bus and private transport.
- Upon reaching Sankri village, you can set your camps and explore the local markets. Kedarkantha trek starts from Sankri village and moves towards the to Juda ka Talab which is at an altitude of 9,100 feet. So before start trekking, take proper food and keep your body hydrated. On the way up to Jadu Ka Talab, You will see dense forests of alpine and oak forests.
- Juda ka Talab is a beautiful campsite. It will be a memorable experience for you. From here the trek moves to Kedakantha basecamp, which perched at an altitude of 11,500 feet. On the terrain, you will experience the best vistas of snow-covered peaks from the top of Kedarkantha.
- The camping experience at the Kedar Kantha base camp is mind-blowing. Now, you can start trekking again for Har Gaon. The trail descends from Kedarkantha to Har Gaon which is at 8,900 feet.
- Hargaon campsite is the last campsite of the trek.
Things to carry
Kedarkantha Trek is a long trek. The trek comes under a moderate level trek. So if you plan to go there, do not miss to carry all the essential things that you will be needing there. A list of basic and important items that should be with you is given below:
- Trekking pole
- Trekking shoes or gumboots and sneakers- as an extra
- Woolen sweater, jacket, and clothes.
- Scarfs, & mufflers.
- Woolen gloves, Woolen socks, and Woolen cap
- Moisturizers, Sunscreen & lip balm
- Water bottles and Eatables like energy bars, cookies, etc.
- Raincover for rucksack, Raincoat and umbrella
- Thermal inner wear for top & bottom
- Extra polythene or carry bag to keep the trash and wet clothes
- Torch & flashlights with extra batteries
- Mandatory ID Proofs like Adhar card, Voter ID, etc
- First aid kit including all the necessary medicines
Mountains always teach you the skills of living joyfully, undertaking fun adventures like trekking and camping. Every time you go to a place, you get to learn new traveling skills and explore the surroundings. If you thinking to undertake this trek, it is advisable to book your trek with a good tour operator. There are various things to keep in mind for the trek. And if you have not been there earlier, you might face many difficulties. Booking the trip with a tour operator will make your journey smooth. Tour operators helps planning an entire itinerary and how awesome it sounds to trek with a certified trek leader.